Lennart Meri Conference 2019 had a special focus on youth, giving voice to their perceptions of the emerging challenges. We also gave youth the possibility to post questions to today’s thought leaders and decision makers. Students from the Society of International Relations at the University of Tartu compiled questions for this year’s Lennart Meri Conference guests. 10 questions, 10 answers.
1. François Heisbourg, Senior Advisor at the International Institute for Strategic Studies: How can smaller countries make their voices heard in EU defence matters?
2. Ian Brzezinski, Senior Fellow at the Atlantic Council: How much damage has President Trump’s rhetoric done in international relations?
3. Oliver Bullough, Journalist and Author: How serious is the threat of Russian financing of European political parties?
4. Szabolcs Takács, Minister of State for European Union Policies of Hungary: Will the EU’s future asylum system be based on the Dublin Regulation?
5. Constanze Stelzenmüller, Robert Bosch Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution: What challenges, besides the threat from Russia, will NATO face in the coming years?
6. Jana Kobzová, Policy Director at Rasmussen Global: How can the EU-Ukraine relationship be improved?
7. Jan Techau, Senior Fellow at the German Marshall Fund of the United States: Is the ‘European idea’ under threat from the far-right and the far-left?
8. Agnia Grigas, Senior Fellow at the Atlantic Council: How will Nord Stream 2 impact the EU’s energy security?
9. Torrey Taussig, Robert Bosch Foundation Fellow at the Brookings Institution: What are the risks to the US and the EU of strong Sino-Russian relations?
10. Scott Carpenter, Managing Director of Jigsaw: Should EU entrepreneurs focus only on Western cyber needs, or also create links with China?