Draconian laws, the blocking of websites and throttling of the internet, and the smothering of leading news outlets has put steadily growing pressure on the independent media. Confrontation with state power is deepening.
- How might civil society react to ever more aggressive methods of central power?
- What can journalists and media representatives do to continue their work?
- Do the media and civil society have red lines, and what might happen if these are crossed?
- Are there freedoms and rights that Russian civil society is ready to fight for?
- What can the West do to help and what should not be done?