- Can the US and the EU create common policies for the digital domain?
- Can they compete in this domain with authoritarian regimes, which are not bound by regulations and ethical limitations?
Meanwhile, the COVID crisis has highlighted the central role that digital platforms and social media can play in manipulation, disinformation, destabilisation, and the erosion of trust.
- Who should set the norms and regulations for the private companies operating these platforms?
- Should the companies themselves be allowed to decide on the limits of free speech?
- Can regulators ensure accountability while avoiding heavy-handedness?
- Can we find solutions to balance the rights and responsibilities of individuals, private companies, and states?